Many local organizations are collecting and distributing food as a response to closures, cancellations and the desire to ensure everyone is fed.
Here are local food drives – where you can help or receive help – while COVID-19 closures are affecting the local area. This list will be updated as new information is shared.
- Atoka United Methodist is collecting food. Here’s more information on what they need.
- First Baptist Covington is collecting boxes of food for drive-thru distribution on Tuesday, March 24 and Thursday, March 26. Please donate boxes of food containing canned chicken, fettuccine noodles, alfredo sauce; canned asparagus (or some other veggie); Pop-Tarts, skillet boxes (Tuna Helper, Hamburger Helper, etc.); tuna; canned peaches; granola bars, etc. Each box should have about $10-$15 worth of food/supplies. Other non-food items are also requested: baby formula, feminine hygiene products, hand soap, activity books/crayons, etc.
Gateway Baptist Church will be hosting a drive-thru food pantry on Monday, March 23, Wednesday, March 25 and and Friday, March 28 from 10 a.m. to noon to help families in the community with food. Please contact the church office 901-837-8087 for details about pick up. Locations are Gateway Munford Campus (145 Joe Joyner Road, Munford) and Gateway on the Square (101 W. Court Square, Covington).
- Genesis Church is collecting food for MHS students and their younger siblings. Here’s what they’re collecting.
- First United Methodist Church-Covington will be doing drive-thru/mobile distribution for Bread of Life Food Pantry. The first and third Saturdays (March 21 and April 4) from 9-11 a.m. they’ll be in Covington and the second and fourth Saturdays (March 28 and April 11) they’ll be at Munford from 9-11 a.m. Here’s more information.
- First Presbyterian Church in Covington has a food pantry which is open Mondays from 1-3 p.m.
- Holly Grove Cumberland Presbyterian Church is packing snack boxes. They will pack and deliver Wednesday. More details here.
- Munford Elementary School will be accepting donations on Monday and Tuesday from 4:30-5:30 in the parking lot area.
- Donations for Munford High School students may be dropped off at the Munford Fire Department. Here’s a Cooking for Cougars document detailing a list of items needed and directions for students preparing meals.
- Tipton County Schools will be providing free meals for students. Here are more details on when and where.
- Cassie Fox started an Atoka COVID19 Community Outreach group on Facebook where low-risk persons can assist high-risk persons. If you’re available to help, join the group.
Planning a food drive? Send an email to email@example.com to have details publicized at no charge.