As we enter Week 1 of the 2020 high school football season under unprecedented circumstances, here are 5 things to know.
- Can Munford, for the first time since 2017, make the game interesting tonight in Covington? The Chargers blew out Munford the last two seasons by a combined score of 90-14. The four games before that were decided by 10 points or less. Who knows what will happen tonight, but history suggests it will be a competitive game. It’s rare that one team dominates the series for more than two years in a row.
- Few people outside of the Munford locker room know what the Cougars’ offense will look like this season under new head coach Slade Calhoun. Considering Calhoun ran a spread when he was the head coach at Haywood, that’s the best guess. If that’s what it is, it will be a big departure from what it’s been in recent years: a run-first option with tight splits and few passes.
- Brighton was supposed to be hosting Raleigh-Egypt tonight, but the Pharaohs and the other Shelby County Schools teams are not playing until next month at the earliest. Now the Cardinals will travel to Bolivar tonight. Bolivar was 3-7 last year and is a much smaller school (3A compared to 5A) than Brighton. The Cardinals will be the favorite.
- Who are some key players to watch? Covington senior running back Marcus Hayes was a Mr. Football semifinalist as a sophomore. Last season he missed multiple games because of injury. He’s healthy now and primed to have a good season. Brighton junior Nick Harvell has never played quarterback, but he earned the starting nod in the preseason. How quickly he adjusts will be very important for the Cardinals. Down at Munford keep an eye on junior running back Auvic White. He burst on the scene in a big way last year and flew under the radar. Opponents will know who he is this year.
- You will need to wear a mask if you plan on attending a game tonight and be prepared to have your temperature checked. The TSSAA has mandated that stadiums can only be filled to one-third capacity, so things will look a little different. And make sure you get your tickets in advance and show up early. There will be no sales at the gate.