A Brighton man is out on bond after being charged with second-degree murder last week.

Raymond Cole McDaniel, 22, was also charged with possessing a firearm in the commission of a dangerous felony after allegedly shooting and killing Stephanie Brown on Thursday, May 20.

According to the warrant, at approximately 6:41 p.m. the Brighton Police Department responded to a reported shooting in the 200 block of Gladman Street.


Brown, 31, was transported to Baptist-Tipton. She was pronounced dead an hour later.

In the warrant, investigators detailed conversations with three witnesses with slightly different stories.

The first reportedly told investigators Brown walked up to the house on Gladman as McDaniel and his fiancée, Katelyn McCammon, were leaving for dinner. Brown said she’d brought clothing for McCammon’s child, whom McDaniel was putting into a truck. Brown reportedly asked the couple to talk.

“Witness told Brown ‘no,’ she was over the drama and disrespect and felt Cole was due an apology,” the narrative written by police states. “Witness stated this made Brown mad and Brown ‘stepped up’ to Cole.”

The relationship between Brown and the other three has not been confirmed by police, however she’s reported to be a relative of the child’s. It was suggested they were arguing over a child custody matter.

The narrative continues with the witness suggesting Brown began cussing at McDaniel. McDaniel reportedly told Brown to get off of his property several times and Brown refused.

“Witness stated as soon as she turned around, it looked like Brown made a ‘uline’ towards Cole, running into him putting her weight on him,” the narrative states. “Witness stated she saw Brown’s hands go up quickly and back down hard as if she was hitting Cole. Witness stated Cole was blindsided by the attack and he turned around in self-defense and shot his gun.”

Two other witnesses, one of whom said she was on the phone with Brown at the time, told police their sides.

The first said she heard McDaniel threaten to call the police if Brown didn’t get off of his property. The witness said she heard McDaniel say, “You’re done, y’all done …” before Brown’s mother, Crystal, who was on the scene, told McDaniel to put the gun up.

According to the narrative, the third witness told police Brown pushed McDaniel to open the door of his truck and McDaniel “pulled that gun out and fired three shots, ‘boom, boom, boom” but also told police McDaniel pushed Brown and Brown never touched McDaniel.

McDaniel was taken into custody that night. He was arraigned Tuesday and released on bond.

“Our prayers are with all the families involved,” said Jere Mason and HMRS Attorneys, McDaniel’s legal team. “We ask that the public remember that Mr. McDaniel is innocent unless proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.”

He is due back in court on June 8 for a status hearing.

The Tennessee Bureau of Investigation is assisting in the homicide, which remains under investigation.

Echo Day
Author: Echo Day

Echo Day is an award-winning journalist, photographer and designer. She is currently The Leader's managing editor.