An Atoka man is working on a project to honor Tipton County’s former sheriffs.
For more than a year Robin Wallace has been working with the sheriff’s office to locate photos of sheriffs who served prior to 1924 to add to the photo wall they’ve had displayed for many years.
“They have created a very impressive wall honoring 12 former sheriffs but there are 23 portraits missing,” said Wallace. “We hope and believe families still in this area might have a photo of that family member who served as a Tipton County sheriff.”
Photos are requested of the following:
- John T. Brown (1823-1830)
- Marcus Calmes (1830-1838)
- Samuel Glass (1838-1840)
- Josiah Horne (1840-1844)
- Isaac E. Clark (1844-1848)
- Robert H. Parrish (1848-1850)
- William H. Wooten (1850-1856)
- Henry J. Maley (1856-1860)
- David C. Slaughter (1860-1862)
- William C. Harris (1865-1866)
- David C. Slaughter (1866-1869)
- A.W. Smith Sr. (1860-1870)
- Benjamin F. Locke (1870-1876)
- L.P. Reaves (1876-1882)
- Thomas J. Taylor (1882-1886)
- D.H. Smith (1886-1892)
- J.P. Faulk (1892-1896)
- D.H. Lauderdale (1896-1902)
- J.L. Johnson (1902-1908)
- L.P. Reaves (1908-1910)
- B.E. White (1914-1918)
- J.M. Beaver (1918-1919)
- C.N. Volz (1919-1924)
If you have a photo of one of these men, Wallace would like to make a copy for the memorial.
Please contact him at 901-848-0797.