Welcome, Visitor!
Today is Sunday, May 1, 2016

Letter to the editor/reader's view

Comment   Email   Print
Related Articles

Dear editor,

Ms. Pelosi, Democrat Speaker of the House and chief architect of Obamacare, said more than three years ago, “We must pass this to see what’s in it.” She was not defining a stool-sample; she was alluding to the fact the AHCA was too lengthy (2,700 pages) and confusing. This Sisyphean accumulation of ambage structured in this damaging legislation by a Democrat Congress had not even been read, let alone understood by anyone at the time of its passage. It barely passed with legal bribery and arm-twisting playing a major role, and with no Republican support. “We must pass this bill to see what’s in it.” No time to read and understand what we are voting on.

It kinda brings to mind a scene from an old western movie: a train slowly approaches a trestle spanning a deep wide canyon. Half the crew wants to check the condition of the unfamiliar trestle before crossing. The other half, including the engineer, sees no reason to waste time examining any safety issues. He opens the throttle and declares, “Let’s cross the trestle to see if it will hold the weight of the train.” This approach might be somewhat acceptable for a freight train; it is quite a different scenario for a fully-occupied passenger train. The “train wreck” could affect many lives.

Do “low information” voters now understand why Republicans were not invited to offer input in the structure of this bill? Do they have a clue now why Conservatives became upset about the federal take-over of the medical and insurance professions? So upset were they that the TEA party movement emerged across the nation. Do they now understand why Ted Cruz, senator from Texas, spoke for more than 24 hours on the Senate floor in an attempt to inform people of the dangers of this bad legislation? Do you think the less-informed voters even care that the Affordable Health Care Act, AKA, Obamacare was not about health care at all? Neither was it about health-care insurance coverage. Think about it a moment. There were about 85 percent of us satisfied with our health care and insurance. Of the remaining 15 percent one hundred percent received health care regardless of insurance. Why were the needed corrections to insurance coverage not made to make our health care system even better?

Why? Because Obamacare is all about government intrusion and is one giant step toward socialism. Our freedoms are being taken; security, comfort and "free stuff" are being offered in exchange for liberty. Wake up, Americans! Check your surroundings, speak up, join conservative groups, write letters, wake up your neighbors, discuss our government affairs with young people. And most important, pray for our country.

Bill Wallace


Comment   Email   Print
Members Opinions:
December 05, 2013 at 8:16pm
Dear editor,
In reading your December 5th edition of The Covington Leader, I had to chuckle at Mr Bill Wallace\'s reference to \"stool-sample\" in his 700 plus word article \"Check Your Surrounding.\"
As I read his article, I am reminded of a poem we learned in high school by Macbeth, that goes as follows:

\"Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life\'s but a walking shadow, a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury
Signifying nothing.\" — Macbeth (Act 5, Scene 5, lines 17-28)

Ray Albritton
Carmel, IN
Powered by Bondware
News Publishing Software

The browser you are using is outdated!

You may not be getting all you can out of your browsing experience
and may be open to security risks!

Consider upgrading to the latest version of your browser or choose on below: